Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His holy name!
“I bow down toward Your holy temple and give thanks
to Your Name for Your steadfast love and Your faithfulness,
for You have exalted above all things
Your name and your word.” Psalm 138:2
“O Lord, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
who have set Your glory above the heavens!” Psalm 8:1
The above verses show us that we bless the Lord when we recognize and acknowledge His Divine Name and Word with fervent love, devotion, and passion. The name of God refers to the revealed character and attributes of the Excellent God. 1 Peter 2:9-10 helps to understand how as the children of God, bless God.
“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.”
As stated in Tuesday’s post, the Lord “is altogether holy, righteous, pure and perfect – He lacks nothing and nothing can be added to Him. Anything and everything we offer to the Lord already belongs to Him.” We can not make Him larger or higher or add to His beauty or splendor. We bless the Lord when we acknowledge such in our hearts, out our mouths, and with lives that give evidence of the His excellent character and virtues. We do this in word, action, thought, and beliefs and express our joyful delight in doing so. Some examples:
- We bless the Lord when our lives give witness to the glorious grace and mercy of the Supreme God, the Great God I Am, who made us to His people and called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. It is called “putting God’s glory on display.”
- We bless the Lord when we acknowledge Him as the One, True and Living God worthy of highest praise, adoration, honor and all glory as we bow before Him. “Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!” Psalm 115:1
- We bless God when we freely and joyfully declare with our mouths and lives that there is no one greater than the Lord. Remember Proverbs 3:5-7, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.”
- We bless God when we go therefore declaring His goodness and grace towards man and make disciples of all nations, baptizing, teaching to obey with hearts of love and passion. Matthew 28:19-20
- To bless God is to live a holy and righteous life of obedience and worship. Dying to self, surrendering all, and allowing Him to renew our minds and transform us into the image of His Son. Romans 8:29
To bless God is seek after Him with our whole hearts in a relationship of love and intimacy, setting the cares of life aside to enter into His presence with His Word and by His Spirit and say “speak, Lord.”
You see, blessing God comes from a heart of faith and love that believes God is Who He says He is and that He does all He says and that He is the only one who is able to be and do what He has spoken and that very fact makes Him worthy of all blessing, devotion, praise, honor, adoration and thanks! His Name is Magnificient and Excellent, He is our greatest treasure and it is our joyful delight!
When our God hears our heartfelt praise and thanks with hearts humbly surrendered in love and obedience, He is blessed! It is a sweet smelling aroma to His nostrils.
When David says to himself, Bless the Lord, O my soul – it’s because His love for the Lord is sincere, the relationship is intimate, and his heart knows that there is none other that compares to His God. He is speaking his desire to praise His Lord, to embrace His Lord, to esteem His Lord, to exalt His Lord, to honor His Lord, to ascribe to the Lord the glory due His Name and to declare God’s excellent Name, character, and attributes!
Hallowed be Your Name! Thank you for the privilege of blessing Your Holy Name! Empower and equip me
thru Your Word and Spirit to display Your glory for You
are my greatest Treasure! In Jesus Name, Amen.