5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, you shall be My treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is Mine; 6 and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”Exodus 19:5-6
We see today that the Lord was calling the people of Israel into a covenant relationship. Verses 5 and 6 gives three titles that God gave to this nation: 1) a treasured possession, 2) a kingdom of priests, and 3) a holy nation. We also see that the covenant was conditional…”If you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant.”
Here we are facing the Sovereignty of God one time. In the midst of these titles the Lord declares “for all the earth is Mine.” Amen! I Am God! You may still have memory of all those foreign ‘g’ods in Egypt but please know and understand that there is no God but Me. Isaiah 43 comes to my heart:
10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the Lord,
“and My servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe Me
and understand that I Am He.
Before Me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after Me.
11 I, even I, Am the Lord,
and apart from Me there is no savior.
12 I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
You are My witnesses,” declares the Lord, “that I Am God.
13 Yes, and from ancient days I Am He.
No one can deliver out of My hand.
When I act, who can reverse it?”
I am God and I choose you as My treasure and desire to set you apart unto Myself as a holy nation dedicated to intimate relationship with Me as a display of My glory. The Lord instructed Moses to return to the people and put the Lord’s loving, gracious, and merciful proposal before them. We will look at the people’s response later but on today we give God thanks that He gives the believer a similar proposal.
“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” 1 Peter 2:9
God has called those who placed their faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior to be:
- A chosen race – I can’t help but smile even as I type this in the midst of times when the enemy is firing his darts of division and confusion, pitting one race against another…not just black and white but all races. God says, I call the believer into one race, the Christian race.
“So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise (Galatians 3:26-29) .” I can remember as a child when we would rebel against what our mama said she would tell us, “You better get over yourself.” So it would seem that any believer caught up in a movement of supremacy over other races or personally thinking such about themselves, best examine themselves before the Lord and His Word. As we sung as children, “Red, yellow, black and white, we are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.” Selah.
- A royal priesthood – a people who have access to God, who do not have need of another priest. Jesus is our High Priest and He mediated this at the cross. “For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all (1 Timothy 2:5-6). We are granted the privilege of His presence at all times and whatever we do should be in His service and for His glory. “Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession (Hebrews 4:14).” “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship (Romans 12:1-2).“
- A holy nation – a people set apart to Him and for Him, new creatures in Christ. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.“ We are transformed into His character and because He is holy, we are holy and we surrender our lives to Him as He transforms us from glory to glory.
- A people for His own possession – He is our God and we are His people. As verse 10 declares, “Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.“ This is truly a Shout Now, Hallelejah! Truth! Selah.
- A people to proclaim the excellencies of Him – the people the Lord created for Himself that we might declare His praise. Oh my, what a privilege!
HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!!!